*Sunday School News
In November, we plan to continue to have Sunday School in-person in the church annex. You can attend either in-person (in the annex) or online. If you are on the email list to receive the link to the online session, you will continue to receive the link to use to join us online each week if you wish. If you would like to join the Sunday School email list, let the church office know.
We start at 10:00 a.m. and finish at 10:45 a.m. each Sunday. If Wicomico County schools close their buildings and go online, we will shift Sunday School back to solely online format again while they are closed. Changes to format will be shared via email as they become necessary, so be sure to keep an eye on your messages.
In October, our Sunday School children studied Jesus’ ministry. The lessons for October were:
- October 3: His Father’s House—Boy Jesus in the Temple (Luke 2:41–52).
- October 10: The Pointing Prophet—John Points to Jesus (Matthew 3; John 1:29–34).
- October 17: A Temple Cleansing—Jesus Clears the Temple (John 2:13–22).
- October 24: The Born-Again Truth—Jesus Teaches Nicodemus (John 3:1–21).
- October 31: Living Water—Jesus Teaches the Samaritan Woman (John 4:1–42).
In November, we continue to study Jesus’ ministry. The lessons for the month will be:
- November 7: The Poolside Sign—Jesus Heals at Bethesda (John 5:1–17). As we gather today, we will study “The Poolside Sign.” For thirty-eight years, a paralyzed man has lain by the pool of Bethesda, hoping to enter it and receive healing. Jesus asks if he desires healing and then tells the man to take up his bed and walk. When the Jews see the man carrying his bed on the Sabbath, they question him about who told him to do this, but the man doesn’t know who Jesus is. After encountering Jesus at the temple, the man reports back to the Jewish leaders, who persecute Jesus.
- November 14: The Matthew Matter—Jesus Calls Matthew (Matthew 9:9–13). “The Matthew Matter” is the title of today’s lesson. Jesus encounters Matthew sitting at his tax booth. He tells Matthew to follow Him, and Matthew responds immediately, inviting Jesus to his home. There, Jesus and His disciples dine with other tax collectors and sinners despite the criticism of the Pharisees. When Jesus hears their comments, He reminds them that only those who recognize the sickness of their sin rejoice in the healing He alone can provide.
- November 21: A Water Wonder—Jesus Walks on Water (Matthew 14:22–33). “A Water Wonder” is the title of this week’s lesson. Jesus sends His disciples before Him in the boat while He goes to pray. Late in the night, Jesus appears to them, walking on the water. Thinking they see a ghost, the disciples first react in fear until Jesus identifies Himself to them. Peter, seeking further proof, asks to come to Jesus on the water. Despite initial success, Peter allows fear to enter his heart and begins sinking. Peter cries out for rescue, and Jesus takes him by the hand, stills the storm, and brings him safely into the boat.
- November 28: Happy Thanksgiving weekend! (Sunday School recess for the week – see you again on December 5th).
We look forward to seeing you in Sunday School, whether in-person or online!