Sunday School April 2017 News
In March, Sunday School learned about Jesus’ work here on Earth. Here are the lessons and accompanying scriptures from March:
- March 5: Jesus and Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1–10).
- March 12: The Triumphal Entry (Mark 11:1–10; Luke 19:28–40).
- March 19: The Widow’s Offering (Mark 12: 41–44).
- March 26: The Lord’s Supper (Luke 22:1–23).
In April, we will learn about how Jesus died and rose again to save us. Here are the lessons, accompanying scripture verses, and questions to discuss at home:
- April 2: Peter Denies Jesus (Mark 14:26-72). Though we, like Peter, deny Jesus and His gifts, Jesus cannot deny us, because we are part of Him, baptized members of His own Body. Instead, He forgives us and welcomes us back. Consider asking, “How does Peter’s denial affect him? In what ways does God forgive us and welcome us back?”
- April 9: The Passion of Christ (Matthew 27:11-66). The Father, the perfect, righteous judge of the universe, forsook Jesus on the cross so that the perfect, righteous sacrifice, Jesus Christ, could be punished for the sins of the whole world. Discuss with your children, “Why was it necessary for Jesus to die? What benefit do we gain from the death and resurrection of Jesus?”
- April 16: The Resurrection of Jesus (Matthew 28:1-10). Today in Sunday School, we will learn about and celebrate Jesus’ Resurrection during the annual puppet show and Easter Egg hunt (see more information below). Consider asking, “Why is the bodily resurrection of Jesus important? How is each Sunday a celebration of Easter?”
- April 23: The Empty Tomb (John 20:1-8). On the first Easter, Mary Magdalene and Jesus’ disciples discovered the empty tomb. In Sunday School today, the children learn how Jesus comes to us in His Word, so that the Spirit gives us faith to believe in Christ’s resurrection and comforts us when we mourn the death of loved ones. You might discuss, “How did Jesus’ followers react when they discovered the empty tomb? How can we share the message of the resurrection?”
- April 30: Jesus Appears on the Emmaus Road (Luke 24:13-35). Today in Sunday School, the children learn of how the disciples recognized the resurrected Jesus through the Scriptures and the breaking of bread when Jesus appeared to them on the Emmaus road. Talk with your children, “How does Christ comes to and abide with us?”
The Annual Sunday School Easter Egg Hunt and puppet show will take place 9:30-10:45 a.m. in the Education Annex on Easter Sunday, April 16. Refreshments will be provided. All are welcome!